Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Friendships

There’s a song that says, “People who need people are the luckiest people in the world”. I love that song because it reminds me of one of the things I enjoy most - people. I grew up in a family that was very active in sports and family activities like fishing, camping, swimming, skiing, bowling and playing card games. Those special family times together helped me understand the true meaning of friendship.


As a child I was very shy, but having an older brother that was always pulling pranks on me taught me to take up for myself (or holler, “mama, he’s picking on me”). I had to always be on guard for what was about to happen next when I walked around a corner, because I knew he might jump out and try to scare me again. Even now, 60 years later, my brother is still a little mischievous, but I know he would help me if I ever needed anything and I consider him a good friend.


I think God created us to have fellowship with HIM and also other people. Friendship is a wonderful thing to have. If you are typical, your friends range from casual acquaintances to those who would die for you. Sometimes friends are closer than our own brothers or sisters. Friends share affection, companionship, confidences, consideration, devotion, faithfulness, fellowship, helpfulness, loyalty, partnership, support, sympathy, trust, and understanding. Friends are special. Above all, God can be our very best friend. His friendship is a role model for all other friendships. Proverbs 17:17 – “A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need.”

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your comments. My husband died 23 months ago. I live alone. So when I am out with friends and family I feel fine. Sometime when I get home, I get so lonely. I just don't know what to do sometime. Somedays are not bad than some days are really really bad. Like this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete